If I could design a system from scratch, and if I didn't have any constraints, I would:
- Use a bell siphon for my ebb and flow (already in heaven on this)
- Use locally sourced expanded shale aggregate for my grow medium
- Site the greenhouse in a clear area with only norther shade
- Make the walkway 36" wide and paved, so it is wheelchair accessible
- Sink the fishtank and sump so the growbeds are about 30" high
- Install a rocket mass heater under the walkway for winter
- Install a rain catchment and storage system
- Install a biosand water filter
- Install a windmill and solar panels for power
- Have a nifty greenhouse (like this Royal Victorian)
In the mean time, I have a wonderfully robust system where the plants are exploding, from which I'm already been able to harvest lettuce, beans, peas, strawberries, mustard, and basil.
Last night we had homemade pizza with pesto sauce made from basil in the garden. So I'm already in heaven!