Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What the doctor ordered


Egyptian symbol of Health and modern Rx


I went to the doctor today for my annual physical. When we got talking about what's going on in my life, I talked about my 3x5 aquaponics venture. Of course.

"Don't plant lettuce - plant cruciferous vegetables!" The doctor went on to extol the benefits of kale, Swiss chard, bok choi, gai lon - all of which the doctor grows at home.

I'd been thinking cruciferous vegetables were necessarily varsity-level plants, ones I'd want to attempt after thoroughly cutting my teeth on easy plants. But kale and chard and spinach seem pretty easy. Now to find a source for seeds this late in the year...

Update

The water is pretty clear now - you can actually see the fish swimming around all the time, now. The bell siphon goes off like clockwork. Now to start thinking about starting seeds - I'll blog about that tomorrow.

PS - There's a nice list of Aquaponic Gardening Rules of Thumb over at Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponics Community website - highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment